Icons and Avatars
Icons and avatars are powerful tools that can help you build a successful brand, as outlined in Marty Neumeier's book "The Brand Gap".
In this article, we will explore the importance of icons and avatars and how they can help you differentiate your brand from the competition and connect with your audience on a deeper emotional level.
📝 Key Ideas:
1. Icons and avatars are essential tools for building a successful brand.
2. A brand icon represents a brand and communicates its market position, while an avatar is an animated or interactive version of the brand icon.
3. The power of icons and avatars lies in their ability to tap into the human visual system, creating a lasting impression.
4. Icons contain the DNA of the brand, while avatars become the symbolic actor in a continuing brand story.
5. Using icons and avatars allows for a multisensory brand experience, resonating with the audience and creating a deeper emotional connection.
A brand icon is a visual symbol that represents your brand and communicates your market position. It should be simple, memorable, and easily recognizable.
Icons contain the DNA of the brand, and their meanings can be unpacked and woven into all brand communication, from advertising to signage, packaging to products themselves. This ensures a consistent brand message and a strong connection with your audience.
An avatar is an animated or interactive version of your brand icon that can move, morph, or otherwise operate freely as the brand's alter ego.
It allows your brand to come to life and connect with your audience on a deeper emotional level. Avatars become the symbolic actor in a continuing brand story, showcasing the brand's values and personality, making it more relatable to the audience.
Icons and avatars are powerful tools for building a strong brand. They help create a visual identity that connects with the audience, creates a multisensory brand experience, and resonates with the audience on a deeper emotional level.
By using icons and avatars, you can differentiate your brand from the competition and create a lasting impression on your target audience. As Marty Neumeier states, "Long live icons and avatars."
Art & Design curious? Sign up for the newsletter.